Sunday 20 April 2014

Showing God's love to a drunkard

On Friday, April 18th, I walked up to the bus stop and inside of the shelter there was a man sitting with a bottle of mouth wash in his hand. He looked like he was almost passed out drunk. My first thought was I am going to stay as far away from him as I can. I did say a little prayer for him in my head but I stayed outside of the shelter and when the bus came I was on my way.
While I was on my way home, God put it in my mind that I should check and see if he was still there. I looked and sure enough he was still there. I went back to my apartment and started to heat up some leftovers for supper. As I was getting my supper ready I couldn't get that man out of my head. I knew that God wanted me to do something for him but I just kept telling myself "No, it's best if I just leave him alone".
Finally I decided I had to take him something so I asked my cousin if she was willing to come with me because I didn't think I should do it on my own. She said she could so I heated up some leftovers and put them on a paper plate.
We went to him and gave him the food and he thanked us for being such nice people. We were going to leave and I said to him "God bless you" and he looked into my eyes for probably about 5 seconds and just held my gaze.
 Then he said "God bless you to, always".
Then my cousin asked if it would be okay if we prayed with him.
He said "No".
 My cousin said" it wouldn't be okay?"
 And he said "It wouldn't be okay, it would be good".
So we laid hands on him and we prayed with him. We prayed that he would have true freedom and that he would realize that God loves him as if he were his only son.
We said good bye and that we  would keep him in our prayers and then we left.
Now looking back I am so grateful that I followed God's leading and that I went and gave food to this man who is in need of God's love. I will never ever forget the look of true gratitude on this drunk man's face. And I will always keep him in my prayers.
In Zechariah 7: 9-10 it says “This is what the Lord Almighty said: Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another."
Think about this verse and what it is saying and ask God to give you opportunities to do these things. Trust me you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment